The A-29 is the solution for the OA-X experiment.
Built For The Mission
The A-29 Super Tucano is a durable, versatile and powerful turboprop aircraft made in the U.S. by Sierra Nevada Corporation and its partner, Embraer Defense & Security. It is the only LAS aircraft in the world with a U.S. Military Type Certificate. The A-29 is consistent with current USAF platforms highlighted by lower operational & sustainment costs allowing increased pilot flight time and improved proficiency.
- Made in the USA and creates U.S. jobs
- Combat proven and in use by 13 air forces worldwide
- Cost effective with low maintenance footprint
- Only aircraft in its class with a U.S. Military Type Certificate
The A-29 is assembled in Jacksonville, Fla., with support from U.S. employees and companies in over 20 states. Should the USAF decide to procure a light attack fleet based on the OA-X experiment, this would create additional production in the U.S. to build the new A-29s based on exact specifications and capabilities of the USAF.
Sierra Nevada Corporation is headquartered in Sparks, Nev., and has a workforce of more than 3,000 with locations in 19 U.S. states. Embraer has had a U.S. presence for nearly 40 years and employs more than 2,000 people in 12 facilities throughout the U.S., including 1,000 employees in Florida.
The A-29 is a proven combat aircraft that can be procured and operated at a fraction of the cost of other fighter/attack aircraft. A clean sheet design, the A-29 can provide close air support and other missions in permission and semi-permissive environments.
To date, the A-29 Super Tucano has been selected by 13 air forces on three continents and holds an excellent performance record:
- More than 300,000 flight hours
- Nearly 40,000 combat hours
With more than 150 certified load configurations, it is equipped with advanced electronic, electro-optic, infrared and laser system technologies, as well as secure radio systems with data links and unrivaled munitions capacity.
The A-29 is the only aircraft in its class with U.S. Military Type Certification and has been operationally employed. The military certification allows for a swift, low-risk, combat-proven solution that the USAF is already operating under a foreign military sales (FMS) effort.
The A-29 is a proven combat aircraft that can be procured and operated at a fraction of the cost of other fighter/attack aircraft.
- Cost-per-flight-hour is significantly less than all other aircraft in its class, as well as all legacy aircraft in inventory, making it an ideal fit for the OA-X experiment.
- The aircraft’s proven record of success and flexibility ensures a smooth transition into this experiment while addressing budget pressures expected to continue for the foreseeable future.
- The A-29’s advanced avionics, communications and additional capabilities are similar to that of 4th and 5th generation aircraft, allowing the USAF to mature and season its pilots effectively at reduced cost.
The A-29 is the ideal fit for the OA-X experiment because it’s experienced, capable, versatile and ready to be deployed.